Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Invisible Children Program

First off, I really enjoyed the online class. The topic of Inivisibel Children was brought up, so I thought I'd quickly explain it, post a link to the website, and then quickly discuss the walk myself and Andi went on.

The Invisible Children Program was established earlier on this decade to create awareness, and funds about the then current war chidlren crises in Northern Uganda. The problem revolved (and still does) around a group called the LRA who raiding homes in trbes and towns and taking the children, and forcing them to be soldieres. The purpose was to over throw the Uganda government, and establish their own ideologies. The problem has dramatically decreased, thanks in part to the Invisible Children Program. The program creates funds by selling bracelots made by women in Northern Uganda, and asking for donations. They also create videos, schedule marches, make posters, etc. to create awareness of this dreadful problem. They even allow people to intern or mentor in Northern Uganda, and other countries with similar problems.

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/home.php

there is a ling to their site, which is becomingly more popular day by day.

The march Andi and I went on took place in downtown Chicago two weekends ago. About 2,000 people showed up, and it was to represent the march abducted children have to take when taken by the LRA. It also was trying to create awareness of the problem. The kids we were representing were those in Joseph Kony's (LRA boss) army. He is the corrupt leader of the LRA, and if he steps down, then the LRA will most likely follow. It was an incredible experience for me to march downtown in the conditions we were in, as I'm sure it was for Andi as well.

It's humbling to know how good our lives are compared to those in those countries. I have found personally that I take many graces in my life for granted, and this program, through its multiple uses of media has created awareness in me, as well as thousands of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment